GPS Address: 125 Profile View Rd., Banner Elk, NC 28604
Business Mail: PO Box 2060 Boone, NC 28607
our voice-mail has no beep
after the message,
so please leave a message as soon as the outgoing message is over
Follow us on Facebook
Welcome to Grandfather Campground.
Please be advised - The campground
roads and sites are graveled. During the winter in inclement weather, 4 wheel drive or chains are strongly
recommended for all vehicles. Please check the weather before you travel
and allow extra time during snow.
Welcome to another season of camping at
Grandfather Campground! We are open here all year, so come and visit
during the summer and the ski season. We have 30 and 50 amp full hookup
sites, tent sites, and several types of cabin rentals. We are located
close to Grandfather Mountain, Blowing Rock, Boone, and Banner Elk. For
a complete calendar of events, check out our Tourist Development website
open 7 days a week in the office, Monday - Thursday 10:00am
- 6:00pm, Friday - Saturday 9:00am - 8:00pm, Sunday
9:00am - 2:00pm. We will be having shortened office hours
for Thanksgiving and Christmas, so
if you are coming during those times, make sure you call to
see what the hours will be. Winter is coming, so be sure to
book your ski vacation in advance! We have cabins and RV
sites open now, as well as the tent sites for any of you
brave winter campers, so be sure to call us at
1-800-788-2582 ASAP for reservations!
We'll see you soon, and we hope you enjoy your stay in our beautiful
Climbing adventures start at Rock Dimensions! http://www.rockdimensions.com/
For Whitewater rafting, check out
High Mountain Expeditions,
and Earth Adventures.
For an online adventure guide, please visit
Action Sports Now
High Country Webcams
Click on your choice below for more information
About Us | Rates | Map | Photos | Email
You are visitor #
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is your GPS address? 125 Profile View Rd., Banner Elk, NC 28604
2. Can I get mail sent to me while I stay in the campground? Yes. You will need to have it sent to Your Name at 125 Riverside Dr., Banner Elk, NC 28604.
3. Do you have WiFi? We have a hotspot located at the pavilion. It may not be accessible from all sites, but there is a covered picnic area with electric outlets and plenty of parking at the pavilion.
4. Do you sell firewood? Yes. We have ice, firewood, snacks, drinks and limited RV supplies available at our camp store. YOU MAY NOT CHOP DOWN ANY TREES.
5. Do you sell propane? We have small tanks for trade in, but we do not have a filling station. To get your tanks filled, please call Heritage Propane (828) 963-5189 which are open Mon-Fri, and do recommend appointments.
6. Are ATV's, Golf carts or motorcycles allowed in the campground? Yes, but there can be no "Joyriding" with the ATV's or Motorcycles. We have a strict 10 MPH speed limit in the campground, and all vehicles must stay on the roads.
7. Do you take Credit/Debit cards? Yes. We take Visa, MasterCard and Discover, as well as cash and personal checks.
8. How far in advance do I need to make a reservation? Reservations can be made up to a year in advance. We recommend as soon as possible for the summer months, one to two weeks in the winter.
9. Can I make a reservation online? No. You may request availability and ask questions, but you must call in to make a reservation.
10. What's required to make a reservation? Name, address, phone number, dates needed, type of rig and the first night on a credit card.
11. When is check in/checkout? Check in is anytime after 2pm, check out for the cabins is 11am and check out for the sites is 12pm (noon).
12. Can we check in early or out late? If the site is vacant, you may check in earlier than 2pm. If not, you will have to wait. Checking out late is only an option if the site is vacant after your stay, please check in the office. Anyone staying past 2pm will be charged another day.
13. What If I arrive after the office closes? With a reservation, you will find a map with your name, posted on the bulletin board outside the office door. You will need to check in at the office in the morning. Without a reservation, please find an empty site and check in the office first thing in the morning, but be prepared to move if the site is reserved for someone else.
14. Do you offer refunds? No. We do have rain-checks available for bad weather, or emergencies. You must have your copy of the rain-check to redeem it.
15. What is your cancellation policy? If you have to cancel, if it is prior to 10 days of the date of arrival, there is a $10 cancellation fee for sites, $25 for cabins. The rest will be refunded back to your card. If you cancel within 10 days of the date of arrival, we can reschedule, or offer a rain-check that is good for one year. No shows are non-refundable.
16. Can we bring our pets? Yes for the sites, but No pets are allowed in the cabins. There is a fee if you are caught with a pet in the cabins.
17. Is there maid service in the cabins? We have each cabin cleaned after each stay. The linens and towels available in the cabin are for the duration of your stay.
18. Are the sites full hook up? Yes. We have sites with Water, electric (30 and 50 amp) sewer and cable tv available for RV's. We also have sites with just water and electric for tent campers and pop-ups.
19. Is there anything special we need to do in the winter? Yes! In the RV's, please fill your water tanks and disconnect your water line from the outdoor spigot. This prevents the hose from freezing. In the cabins, please leave the water in the faucets dripping and do not turn off the heat.
20. How are the campground roads in the winter? Our roads are gravel, along with the sites, and we do the best we can during the snows. Be advised we do recommend 4wheel drive or chains in the winter.
21. What are the quiet hours? Quiet time is at 11pm until 8am.
22. Where is the Trout Pond? The Fishing Pond is located next door, the next driveway to the right.
23. How far are you from…
a. Boone, 10 miles. (south on Hwy 105)
b. Banner Elk, 5 miles.
c. Blowing Rock, 15 miles.
d. Ski slopes? Sugar is a 10 min drive, Beech Mountain is a 20 min drive and Appalachian Ski Mountain is 30 min away. Hawksnest for tubing and zip lining is less than 10 min away.
e. Grandfather Mountain? 15 min drive.
f. Linville Caverns and Linville Falls? 30 min drive.
g. Tweetsie? 30 min drive.
h. Hickory? 1-1.5 hour drive.
i. Ashville? 1.5-2 hour drive.
j. Charlotte? 2-2.5 hour drive.
Helpful Websites and Phone numbers:
24. For weather forecasts of the area: www.booneweather.com www.weather.com with zip code 28604.
25. For road conditions: on the Boone Weather website, http://www.booneweather.com/Webcams/Boone+Street+Cam and http://www.ncdot.gov/traffictravel/ for other NC areas.
26. For area events, attractions, and calendars of events, and www.boonechamber.com or www.highcountryhost.com or call High Country Host at 1(800) 438-7500.
27. For hiking trails: http://www.grandfather.com/nature_walks/index.php or http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/v.php?pg=40 We do not have a trail from here to Grandfather Mountain, but we do have a short trail on the property.
28. To get your tanks filled, please call Heritage Propane (828) 963-5189 which are open Mon-Fri, and do recommend appointments.
Camper Parts and Repair:
29. M&R RV Repair, Michael Lail (828)851-1647
30. Carolina Coach and Camper in Hickory, NC (828) 459-9790
Copyright © 2007
Grandfather RV & Campground.
Carolina Web Designers by AppNet.com
Memberships and Links:
Elk NC Vacations
North Carolina Mountain Vacations
North Carolina Golf
North Carolina Ski Resorts